Divorce doesn't have to be a battle.
We encourage collaboration rather than confrontation.

Child Relocation

Lea Shelemey, Valparaiso Mediator, Divorce & Family Law Attorney

Indiana Law requires parents who intend to relocate with their children to serve a formal notice upon the non-relocating parent. Whether you decide to move across the street or to another state, if you have a Court Order with respect to custody, parenting time, or grand-parenting time, you will be required to comply with this statutory notice provision. If the non-relocating party objects to the relocation, then he/she has the right to challenge the intended relocation by filing an objection with the court in a timely manner. A Hearing will subsequently be held in order to determine whether or not the relocation is in the "child’s best interests" and whether or not custody should be modified.

  • International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
  • Valpo Chamber
  • Association of Family and Conciliation Courts
  • Indiana Associate of Mediators